Genome sequence and organization of a nucleopolyhedrovirus that infects the tea looper caterpillar, Ectropis obliqua.
The complete nucleotide sequence of Ectropis obliqua nucleopolyhedrovirus (EcobNPV), which infects the tea looper caterpillar, was determined and analyzed. The double stranded circular genome is composed of 131,204 bp and is 37.6% G+C rich. The analysis predicted 126 putative, minimally overlapping open reading frames (ORFs) with 150 or more nucleotides that together compose 89.8% of the genome. The remaining 10.2% constitute non-coding and three homologous regions. Comparison with previously sequenced baculoviruses indicated that three ORFs were unique to EcobNPV, while the remaining 123 ORFs shared identity with other baculovirus genes. In addition to two bro homologues, three other repeat ORFs, including dbp, p26, and odv-e66, were identified. Phylogenetic analysis indicated that each member of the paired ORFs was acquired independently. Gene parity plot analysis and percent identity of gene homologues suggested that EcobNPV is a Group II NPV, although its genomic organization was highly distinct.